Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sci Fi

There he is across the room. His hair slightly covering his right eye as he conversating with friends over weekend plans. I continue to glance over, admiring his beauty- his perfection.
“Judy Anthony, Do you understand?” Mrs. Rice is standing at the chalkboard now glaring at me. She interrupted my daydream and gave the class a great opportunity to stare at me, the new girl.
“Yes mam,” I managed to utter while trying to gather my thoughts. I’m not sure what it is about him, but I know this has to stop. The constant thoughts of him, endless staring, and butterflies must stop, all of it. I must pull together my desires and remember the mission. I must keep in mind the reason I am at Stork High School in Salt Lake City. I remember sometimes of how my life was until I was “chosen.” Before that day I had been an average eighteen-year-old girl in New York City. My name was Scarlet Bennett and I lived alone in a stuffy, crowded apartment. I struggled working nights at a local café while trying to get noticed in the music industry. I wished to be discovered so badly, but not by them. Before the day I was chose I didn’t believe in the supernatural; I wasn’t superstitious at all. That night I become a believer. I was walking down that cool street back to my dingy apartment after a long shift at the café. I remember it was a cold December night. As I walked I could see my breath being released into the hair and frost nibbling the tips of my toes. I’ll never forget when I spotted him. There he stood a few feet in front of me. He told me to do exactly as he said. My initial reaction was that I was being robbed. I clung more tightly to my purse. I never imagined it was me he wanted, not my money. He stood about six feet tall and had on a black leather coat. His pale face was slightly lit up due to the street light overhead. His eyes were blue and his face looked angry. He reached for my hand and we were gone.
“Excuse me, Miss Anthony would you like to join the rest of the class and stop daydreaming?” Mrs. Rice is now positioned over my desk glaring down at me. I could feel the blood rush to my face as I look up at her in embarrassment. The bell rang shortly after that ending my misery. As I walked down the hall I heard my name. I turned to see him, Michael Gray, standing by my side as we make our way down the crowded hallway.
“I hate that class,” he said as we walked. I could smell his cologne fill the air I breathed. He stood about six one, which reminded me of the first time I met Shane, that night in the alley. Michael wore a pale blue polo shirt and blue jeans. As we walked people from all directions said hello to him. He was rather popular.
“So, any big plans for the weekend?” he asked.
“Not really,” I noted.
“Well some friends are going to come over to my place. Your welcome to come.”
“I’ll see if I can make it,” I answered.
I really wanted to go. I craved the feeling of being next to him. It had only been here a couple of months and every time we talked the butterflies returned. I loved being with him or even just talking to him. I knew I needed this opportunity I was supposed to “take” him soon.
Later that night I had to meet with my peers. They informed me that he had to become one of us in a month, prom night. He would become a stalker of the night, brainwashed by thoughts of war. I didn’t want to rob him of his human life or even take him but I had no other choice.
The next few weeks passed by and I grew closer to him after the party at his house- since the night we kissed. I had been avoiding my peers and the butterflies I got when I saw him had multiplied.
One day as we walked to Biology he asked the question I had been dreading, the moment I’d never forget. He looked down at me and said, “Will you go to prom with me?” Instinct took over. I tried to vanish the thoughts but I only heard Shane’s words.
“This boy Michael has what it takes. He can get people to join us by his charm. He can be the new taker. Scarlet, you must take him prom night! We met with the opposing forces a little over a month ago and we must go back to our home with a victory! We need Michael’s strength. We need him, or you know what happens.”
I trembled at the thought and stared at him. “So, Will you go?” he repeated.
“I’d love to,” I responded with a sick feeling deep within my gut. Truth is, I did want to go. I wanted to buy a beautiful dress and spend a whole night dancing with him. A whole night to pretend I was Scarlet Bennett again, to be his girl. But reality was what I knew I had to face. I was at Stork High pretending to be Judy Anthony just to steal the life of the boy I’d grown to love. I would be forced to convert him into a life of fighting, a life of battling with the enemy. I must take him… soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment